Director of Children’s, Youth, and Family Ministry
Summary: The Director of Children’s, Youth, and Family Ministry is a full-time staff position who reports directly to the Rector (senior pastor) and leads the Youth Ministries of the parish. This position also focuses on Christian Education and Formation for all ages, including planning and executing intergenerational worship and formation opportunities.
The mission of St. Stephen’s is: to be a community of people made more complete by the grace of a perfect God, who proclaim the Gospel by sharing the reconciling love of Christ with others through redeeming acts of hospitality, forgiveness, justice, and peace.
St. Stephen’s is the largest and oldest of three Episcopal churches serving the Goldsboro and Wayne County community. We were founded in 1853 and have been serving the people of God in this community ever since! St. Stephen’s also has a long history of active youth ministry, mission trips, and activity in local outreach to the homeless and people with food insecurity. We are looking to reinvigorate the ministry following the effects of Covid and seek a new direction to attract youth and young families to our congregation.
- Oversee, organize and grow the Youth Ministry of the parish through shared leadership, collaborating with the Rector, staff and adult leaders on the Youth Team,
- Support the ministry of the whole parish, and the integration of youth into parish life as full members of the church, including Acolytes and Youth Choir,
- Form pastoral connections with the youth and their families,
- Develop a leadership team for Youth Ministry for a depth of effective leadership, discernment, accountability, and connection to the parish,
- Organize and lead evening Youth Groups for relational and experiential growth in Christian discipleship,
- Recruit and train Sunday School leaders and Youth Group leaders (for elementary, middle school, and high school aged parishioners), and engage them in ongoing curriculum development,
- Plan and execute Christian Education programming for elementary, middle school, and high school aged parishioners,
- Prepare youth candidates for Confirmation.
- Organize and lead special activities to maintain and grow youth engagement, including monthly activities, service projects, youth retreats, and mission trips.
- Identify, recruit, train, support and motivate leaders and volunteers,
- Act as Safe Church Administrator for all youth and children ministries.
- Prepare and manage the approved youth ministry program budget.
- A Christian committed to Jesus Christ, and to the church as the body of Christ.
- Personal and professional character that demonstrates an authentic commitment to Christ and Christian standards, providing a good model for all ages.
- A passionate desire to help children, teens, and adults become disciples and grow as disciples of Jesus Christ.
- Demonstrated skills and attributes in:
o Christian maturity, grounded in a life of daily prayer, regular worship, and Bible study,
o Building trusting relationships with children, teens and adults,
o Relational and experiential ministry,
o Responsibility, organization and effective, healthy communication,
o Initiative, solution-oriented problem solving, reliability and accountability, Proactive group/team leadership, mentoring, teaching, facilitation,
- A demonstrated ability to work with, learn from and motivate youth and their parents,
- A demonstrated ability to manage conflict with teens and parents,
- A demonstrated ability to recruit, raise up and support volunteer leaders,
- A understanding of and respect for the Anglican/Episcopal tradition,
- A demonstrated ability to work graciously with people of various backgrounds and views,
- Working knowledge of social media and standard office applications,
- Demonstrated skills in curriculum planning and development,
- Demonstrated good judgment in boundaries (personal and professional) and in the wise and responsible use of technology and social media.
- Skills with music are a plus.
Education and experience:
- An Undergraduate Degree
- At least two years of experience, demonstrating an ability to grow and sustain a vibrant youth ministry.
- The Youth Minister will engage in overnight retreats, outdoor games and activities, mission trips and other physically demanding tasks.
- Employment is contingent on a successful completion of criminal background check. Minimum three references are required, including at least one personal and one professional reference.
Compensation and benefits:
- The position is full time (40+ hours per week), with salary and benefits.
- Benefits currently include medical & dental insurance. The church makes a contribution to a 403(b) retirement plan equal to 5% of income; the church also matches up to 4% of employee contributions to the 403(b). Annual salary range is comparable to clergy salaries, commensurate with training, experience and demonstrated abilities.
- Please send Cover Letter, Resume, and at least 3 references (including at least 1 personal and 1 professional) to The Rev. David Wyly at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are inclusive, rewarding, supportive and our goal is to be a community of people made more complete by the grace of a perfect God, who proclaim the Gospel by sharing the reconciling love of Christ with others through redeeming acts of hospitality, forgiveness, justice, and peace..
Job Description: Love working with children and need a part-time job with a vibrant church community? We are a small Episcopal congregation in historic downtown Goldsboro, NC. We provide nursery care for our children infant to 6 years during Sunday service and occasional other events through the year.
Expectations: We expect the Nursery Attendant to be a consistent presence in the lives of the children in their care, therefore the Nursery Attendant needs to be present every Sunday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. It is very important that someone in this position convey a sense of hospitality to our little ones and their parents.
- Provide age-appropriate care which means cleaning, changing diapers, holding, and cheerfully interacting with children through games, stories, art activities and prayer
- Be polite and friendly to all children, parents, and volunteers
- Set up and keep nursery clean and sanitize toys as needed, keep art/craft supplies tidy
- Straighten and tidy the nursery before leaving.
- Dependability and a warm and welcoming presence are essential Minimum
- Minimum of 18 years old
- Complete Safe Church training
- Complete criminal background check and sexual offender registry check
- Candidate demonstrates that they love working with children
- Flexibility as needs change from week to week.
The compensation is $12 – $15 an hour (also negotiable depending on experience) and there may be opportunities for work during special church events.
To apply: please send cover letter and resume with relevant work experience to the Rev. David Wyly at email@example.com
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $12.00 – $15.00 per hour
- Weekend availability
Work Location: In person